Backup Process, pre-upgrade
Use a powered USB hub to connect the Linx OTG, USB (8GB) Pen drive, Large USB drive, keyboard and mouse
- Backup the images via “File History” > “System Image” to the large disk within Win8.1
- Install Macrium Reflect Free
- Create Macrium rescue USB drive and then boot into it (power off then hold power+vol up to get to boot mgr) to test it works
- Reboot to Win8.1
- Create backup images of the partitions using Macrium to the large USB drive
- Download all Windows updates to obtain the free upgrade to Windows 7 option
- Export all drivers to the large backup disk (in my case the e:\ drive) using PowerShell
NOTE: I didn’t actually need these, it’s good to backup though! ```
Export-WindowsDriver –Online -Destination e:\export-drivers ```
- Download the drivers from the linx site http://www.linxtablet.co.uk/page.php?p=windows-10-command-centre—drivers&sid=ad908ed3eafdbd149ed7c8018a56e3af (you will need an account to do so, which is free)
NOTE: I didn’t actually need these, it’s good to backup though!
- Run Windows Updates to get the upgrade (24 hours left at time of writing this oops!). I would guess it’s possible to create a bootable installation USB from licensed media in the future and will re-visit this guide when I do that.
- Let Windows manage the installation, I had to install an external Micro SD Card to house the downloaded data.
Thanks to the following posts (login maybe required):